The tower of Prosforion is the landmark of Ouranoupolis located next to its harbor. It's the largest and best-preserved tower in Halkidiki built in the 14th century. The tower is also known as the “Tower of Loch”, both names related to tower’s history.
The first referred to the tower as the principal building of the “metohi” – property of Prosforion, a certain area, which was under the supervision of Vatopedi Monastery. The second name is dedicated to the Australian “Lochs”, a couple who settled in the tower during 1930, as members of humanitarian groups.
Among the most remarkable features of this tower is the diversity of its construction as it has been through at least three main structural-historical phases.
The Byzantine phase (11th-12th century) where the first floor was constructed, the Ottoman phase (1585) where three more floors were added and the interior which is made of wood and it’s dated in the 19th century.