Until 1924, it was a monastery dependency of the Russian monastery, later an annexe of the American Red Cross, while during the Nazi Occupation (1944) it was bombed by the Bulgarian conquerors. In 1999 the City Council of Moudania decided to grant the area to the 10th Ephorate for Byzantine Antiquities, to undertake the necessary restoration works and to use the “Justinian”, as it was named by the archaeologists, as the Center for Byzantine Culture in Halkidiki.
The organization of its permanent exhibition is in process with only two rooms on the ground floor being currently accessible to the public (a reception/ visitors’ service room and a room with antiquities of the Early Christian and Byzantine period).
The Open Antiquities Maintenance Center is already operating in the Solo Building. Three open maintenance workshops covering three main categories of objects: the book (handwritten or printed), ceramics, and the image are formed in the space. Thus, the visitor has the opportunity to watch in real-time the process of preserving antiquities by the staff of the Ephorate. At the same time, on large suspended screens, the detail of the work is presented, either in real-time or video-recorded.