Natura 2000 is the centerpiece of EU nature & biodiversity policy.
The network aims to assure the long-term survival of Europe’s most valuable and threatened species and habitats. It is comprised of Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) and also incorporates Special Protection Areas (SPAs).
The protected areas of Natural Beauty and Biodiversity, by the Natura European Network, located in Halkidiki are:
- Agios Mamas Laguna
- Nea Fokea Wetland Habitat
- Paliouri Cape
- Cape Pyrgos - Kypsas Bay - Malamo
- Sithonia peninsula
- Itamos Mount, Sithonia
- Platanitsi - Sykia: Cape Rigas - Cape Adolo
- Cape Elia - Cape Kastro - Ragoula Outlet
- Taxiarchis - Polygyros
- Holomontas Mount
- Athos peninsula
- Stratoniko Mount, Skamni Summit