Megali Panagia village
Megali Panagia is a mountainous village nearby Arnea, that used to be called as Revenikia. It's one of the oldest villages in Halkidiki and is often referred to in byzantine documents of Mount Athos.
The village current name refers to the small chapel which was built close to the village in the 19th century, that chapel was so appealing to all religious pilgrims who named the village as Megali Panagia dedicated though to Virgin Mary.
Three rivers used to run through Megali Panagia but only one is visible nowadays. A restored, arched, thousand-year-old, bridge, made of stone, still stands beside the asphalt road. Residents cultivate olive trees and they are also involved with animal breeding, agricultural tourism and logging. In the old days there were many good builders who worked in Mount Athos and many weavers.
The monastery of Megali Panagia is not the only one in the area: There is also Panagia-Fovera Prostasia (Virgin Mary of Great Protection), which is 4km away via a passable dirt road.
Worth it to see:
- On the east side of the village, there’s the pilgrimage center of Panagia.
- The temple of St. Vasilios (1955) and “Panagouda”, a church which -according to tradition- was built in 1007- on the highest spot of Megali Panagia. It is dedicated to The Assumption of the Virgin Mary and celebrates on September 8.
- Walking around the village and spot the scenic old houses of the village dated back to 19th century.
Don’t miss it!
Walk over the outstanding old stone arched bridge
when on the way towards Gomati village.