Location: From Thessaloniki → 124km- From Polygyros → 50km
Once you reach Ierissos, you will find out that is the great main village of the municipal district of Aristotle and one of the largest market towns in Halkidiki.
It stands on the site of ancient Akanthos, a colony of settlers from Andros, and was first inhabited in prehistoric times. Modern Ierissos is a well organized resort; an ideal destination for unforgettable holidays.
Worth it to see:
- The ruins of the castle and the Byzantine church: The only visible trace of Akanthos, excavated on the east side of the Acropolis and the Tower of Krouna, located approximately 2km west of Ierissos.
- The dependency (metochion) of the Life-Bearing Spring, which belongs to the Monastery of Hiliandary.
- The aquarium constructed in 2005, where visitors can see a variety of ﬁsh and shellﬁsh and the huge tank containing seawater continually renewed by a special pump connected to the sea.
- The unique Amphitheatre and the Cultural Center where lots of exhibitions of great cultural interest, take place.
- Make a stop at "Karnagio". The shipyards of Ierissos were some of the most significant in Greece, with famous shipbuilders. You will notice the old "karnagia", as they call the shipyards when you drive from Ierissos to Nea Roda.
✓ Don’t miss it!
Join an interesting custom celebrated every third day of Easter which is called the Black Threshing Floor.